If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (303) 777-6498

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What To Do If You Have Mold In Your Englewood Colorado Home

9/1/2018 (Permalink)

An Englewood East home with mold damage.

From time to time mold will begin to grow indoors, in homes and businesses. Due to the problems, it is essential to remove it immediately. Mold must be identified by a qualified Environmental Hygienist for proper treatment. An Environmental Hygienist is a scientist trained to asses and contain hazardous substances. These individuals will be familiar with the types of problems an area is prone to and how best to handle the situation. Once a fungus outbreak has happened the home owner should immediately contact a hygienist to schedule an assessment.

In Englewood CO, mold is a problem. Fungus will feed on surfaces such as drywall, wooden joists, studs, cardboard, and clothing. It will thrive in areas that are warm, damp, and humid. The way it reproduces is to make spores, microbial growth, which can spread throughout a structure in as little as 48 to 72 hours. In Englewood and Littleton Colorado, basements are a common space with the perfect conditions for growth. Water is essential for microbial growth. Cleaning any water damage as soon as a leak is discovered will help in the prevention of further growth. If mildew growth is discovered, it should be cleaned immediately with a commercial cleaner and a scrub brush to stop the growth before it turns into a huge problem. Mildew left untreated will quickly turn into a colony.

Here are some tips for cleaning damage:

  • Fix leaks immediately and dry all items thoroughly.
  • Scrub moldy area with detergent and water, then dry completely.
  • Porous materials should be professionally cleaned, but be warned this may not always prevent them from having to be replaced depending on the extent of the damage.
  • Avoid exposure by wearing a respirator (N-95 style), gloves that cover up to the forearm, and goggles to prevent spores from getting in the eyes.

If the problem is in several locations, has spread to the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC)system, or involves sewage or other contaminated water, it may be best to contact a professional who is familiar with treatment of moldy areas to ensure proper handling. Attempting to handle these issues without training, could lead to much bigger problems down the road.

For cleanup to be considered successful, the area must be free from visible as well as any smell associated with the infestation. All signs of water leaks or damage must be fixed, cleaned, and completely dry. The area must be safe for occupancy, with no health issues or physical symptoms present. Even dead spores can trigger allergies in certain individuals, therefor, the colony must be removed, not simply killed. Surface samples can be taken to ensure cleanup has been properly completed. A Environmental Hygienist, specifically trained in sampling protocols, methods, and interpreting results should be used for this type of testing.

Unfortunately, Englewood and Littleton CO, are susceptible to colony growth. Once discovered, immediate action is essential for quick handling, cleanup, and recovery. Anyone looking for more information pertaining to Colorado specific fungus should visit.

Visit http://www.SERVPROenglewoodeastlittleton.com for more information on mold damage.

Other News

View Recent Posts