Simple Ways To say Goodbye To That Nasty Mold Odor
There are many reasons why you want to avoid getting mold in your home. Aside from its unsightly appearance and the embarrassment that comes from discovering it, mold leaves an unpleasant, sometimes-intolerable musty odor. You shouldn’t have to live with the stench in your Englewood, Colorado home.
Luckily, you can take action and get your place smelling fresh once again.
Why It Stinks
First, it may be helpful to understand why the musty, damp odor of mold is so severe and how this happens. Simply put, mold releases a number of mycotoxin materials, which create the horrible smell. Here are other reasons:
- The smell is a mixture of numerous chemicals the mold releases as it grows.
- The smell comes from compounds such as geosmin, borneol, 3-octanone and others.
If you head to your local grocery store or department store, you should be able to find air fresheners capable of overpowering the smell the various mycotoxin compounds. Febreze is a popular choice among homeowners. However, be aware that the products will only mask the odor for a time; eventually, the mold stench will prevail. These products don’t eliminate the mold.
If you don’t think a commercial product will do the trick, or if you’d rather try something different, you may already have some items in your home that will work. One common combatant is the water-vinegar mixture. Try a half-part of each and put it into a spray bottle. Then, spray on the mold damaged area.
In worst-case scenarios, you may need mold remediation to rid your home of this terrible smell. A professional mold cleanup company can use specialized chemicals or may even tear out and replace drywall or flooring in your home.
Mycotoxin compounds leave a musty odor you don’t want to deal with. Try these techniques to ensure you can have a stench-free home.